Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Whole Grained Meatloaf & Challenge Update

It's taken me a minute to post again because our family computer has been occupied with taxes. I'm sneaking in a post before they're done to tell you that I did it! I ate my 8-grain cereal 3 days last week and already started my week of right be eating it for breakfast this morning. I discovered that making the cereal with milk makes it plenty sweet and filling for me. I used to always make oatmeal with water and then had to add protein powder to sweeten it and bulk up the protein. I like my new plan to go the more natural route and cut down on the steps to make it. I added 1/2 banana and topped it with a plop of cottage cheese or almond butter, depending on the day. I also discovered microwaving it in a giant Pyrex bowl prevents the boil over and microwave mess. 3 minutes did the trick for me.

I also discovered a quick whole grain option at Costco. This little pack microwaves in 90 seconds and fed our little family of 3 - Arjun, me and Monica. Tarala housed her own packet and while she didn't finish it, I did refill her plate 5 times. It was very moist and flavorful. I also like getting the Minute Rice brown or wild rice cups for Tarala. I never mind cleaning up her leftovers. It's one cup of rice and is ready in one minute. I don't really understand how the microwave rice can be so yummy but it's nice to have some time-saving foods to help fit in the whole grains.

Did you know grain could be a verb? Well I just made it one. "Grained" means you make the food a whole grain. I almost always make my meatloaf in these mini tins. I bought mine a while back at World Market before Internet shopping was the gold standard. Now you can get six of these little guys on Amazon for $6.99. They not only make your meatloaf (or banana bread) super cute, but it cuts the cooking time in half. A 30 min meatloaf sounds way more doable on a weeknight than a 60 min meatloaf. Plus it helps with portion control. If you don't want to invest in these muffin tins, you can always bake the meatloaf in muffin tins.

Whole Grained Meatloaf

1 package lean ground turkey (1.25 lbs)
1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill 8-Grain cereal or similar variety
1 egg or 2 egg whites
Few splashes of Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
Salt & pepper
Squeeze of Dijon mustard

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees 
  2. Mix all ingredients in a bowl
  3. Spray tins with non-stick cooking spray 
  4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until loaves reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees
  5. Serve with a whole grain side or sweet potatoes and a green veggie. Try the microwavable bags of veggies for a quick meal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment